Image 1: Visitor's Center. The Shiloh National Military Park Visitor's Center is in the background on the right. In the foreground is the monument and the cannons that mark Silfversparre's Battery H of the 1st Illinois Light Artillery regiment. The battery's position was part of Major General Ulysses S. Grant's last line of defense on April 6, 1862. The guns face south.
Image 2: Madison's Battery and Iowa State Memorial. The guns in the foreground represent the position of Madison's Battery of the 2nd Illinois Light Artillery regiment. This was a siege gun battery, though the guns shown are not siege guns. The guns face south. In the background is the Iowa State Memorial. The two pointed monuments in the middle of the photograph are for the 58th Indiana infantry regiment (left) and the 51st Indiana infantry regiment (right) both of the Union Army of the Ohio. Just barely visible in the distant background is the Visitor Center.
Image 3: Close-up shot of the Iowa State Memorial.
Image 4: 51st and 58th Indiana Memorials. The monument on the right is to the 51st Indiana infantry regiment. The monument on the left is to the 58th Indiana infantry regiment.
Image 5: Close-up of the 58th Indiana Memorial.
Image 6: 5th Ohio Cavalry and 56th Ohio Infantry Memorials. The monument on the right is for the 5th Ohio cavalry regiment. The three symbols in the middle of the memorial represent the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd battalions. The memorial on the left is for the 56th Ohio infantry regiment. These markers are along Grant's last line of defense, and found west of the monuments in image 4.
Image 7: 68th Ohio Infantry Memorial. This is the monument for the 68th Ohio infantry regiment. It is found just west of the memorials in image 6. The monument is in the shape of a minié bullet, the projectile used in the rifled muskets used during the American Civil War.
Image 8: Hazen's Brigade Marker. This marker is found south of the monuments in image 6. The photograph is facing south, in the direction of the Confederate line. The marker indicates the position of Hazen's brigade of Nelson's division, Union Army of the Ohio. The marker says:
ARMY OF THE OHIO
HAZEN'S (19th) BRIGADE.
9th INDIANA, 6th KENTUCKY, 41st OHIO.
NELSON'S (4th) DIVISION.
This brigade, with its regiments in order as above, occupied this position at 7 p.m. April 6, 1862 and bivouacked here Sunday night. It advanced in line of battle Monday morning.
The position markers on the battlefield look like this one. Blue markers are for the Union Army of the Tennessee, yellow markers for the Union Army of the Ohio, and red markers for the Confederate Army of the Mississippi.
Major General Ulysses S. Grant set up his final defensive line across the line of the Confederate advance, anchored at Pittsburg Landing and run west, facing south. This was Grant's last chance to stop the Confederates. If he failed, his army would have been driven into the Tennessee River or forced to surrender en masse. The Confederates attacked the line, but their assault had been spent. They had lost their commander, Albert Sidney Johnston. They had spent themselves driving headlong against The Hornets' Nest and pushing aside the other attempts to stop them. By the time they got to Grant's last line, night was falling. The defensive line held. Throughout the night, Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell's Army of the Ohio reinforced Grant, and the Union counterattacked the Confederates, eventually driving them from the field.
These pictures were taken in March, 2000 with a Nikon F-601 autofocus SLR, using a Nikkor 24mm - 50mm f2.8 wide angle zoom lens. They were captured on Fuji ISO 200 film.