Image 1: Union artillery line. This line of cannons, representing the Union artillery at the First Battle of Manassas, is found northeast of Henry House. This part of the Henry Hill walking tour leads to the location of the Robinson House (which is no longer standing). The cannons are in an arc pointing southwest to south.
Image 2: Robinson House location. In the background, beyond the cannon, is the location where Robinson House stood at the time of the two battles.
Image 3: Confederate artillery line. This line of cannons, representing the Confederate artillery position in the afternoon of July 21, 1861 during the First Battle of Manassas, is found southeast of Henry House. The cannons are in an arc pointing west to northwest. In the background is the location of Robinson House.
1st Manassas: Henry Hill was the pivotal site during the First Battle of Manassas (July 21, 1861). The Union forces that crossed Sudley Ford pushed the Confederate defenders back to Henry Hill. At first the Confederate battle line defended the crest of Henry Hill north of Henry House. As the battle continued, the Confederates fell back further along the hill. At this point, Union troops lined the area shown in image 1, while the Confederates under Brigadier General Joseph E. Johnston held a line along the area shown in image 3. Late in the afternoon, Confederate troops under Brig. Gen. Pierre G. T. Beauregard struck the right flank of the Union line. This precipitated a withdrawal that developed into a rout.
2nd Manassas: On the second day of the battle of 2nd Manassas (August 30, 1862), Union artillery was formed on Henry Hill during the Confederate drive on the hill. The artillery was formed up not far from the cannons in image 3.
These photographs were taken in May, 1999 with a Nikon F-601 autofocus SLR, using a Nikkor 24mm - 50mm f2.8 wide angle zoom lens. The images were captured on Kodak Gold 200 film.